The Mission Inn Museum features permanent, temporary and virtual exhibits. The onsite permanent exhibit in the Mission Inn Museum details the history of the Mission Inn and it's founder Frank Miller, as well as featuring the collections of the Mission Inn Foundation and Museum. Temporary exhibits have featured "The Music of the Mission Inn", "Catacombs - Myth and Reality" and "By the Seat of their Pants - Aviation - Mission Inn - March Field."
On view September 7, 2017 - February 26, 2018
Private Member Only Opening September 7, 2017 5:00 p.m.
Public Opening September 7, 2017 6:00 p.m.
Mission Inn Museum Hours 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
The Mission Inn does better when it is owned by a family. Indeed, the hotel’s greatest successes are bookended by the ownership of two families: the Millers (1876 – 1956) and the Roberts (1992 – today).
Between 1903 and 1931, the Millers, under the leadership of eldest son Frank, transformed a small, adobe boarding house into the Mission Inn, a grand destination hotel that quickly turn it into Riverside’s social center and civic hub. During his tenure, Frank Miller, known as the Master of the Inn, attracted guests and visitors from around the world including artists, writers, intellectuals, social activists, Hollywood stars, royalty, and U.S. presidents.
Despite those “in-between” years—in between its glory days and its rebirth—Duane and Kelly Roberts’ deft leadership has made today’s Mission Inn Hotel & Spa a hotel once again worthy of its National Historic Landmark designation.
The Roberts’ Years: The Rebirth of the Mission Inn is the third and final exhibit in a three-part series celebrating the non-profit Mission Inn Foundation’s 40th anniversary. This exhibit explores the Mission Inn’s renaissance and the transformation it has undergone during the Roberts’ years.
WOMEN OF THE MISSION INN
March 22-August 31, 2018
Opening Thursday, March 22, 2018
5:00-6:00 p.m. Members Hour Reception
6:00-8:00 p.m. Public Reception
Mission Inn Museum Hours 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. daily
Monthly Riverside Arts Walk April 5, 2018 6:00-9:00 p.m.Left: Marion Clark Miller, mid-late 1930's in front of the CompanarioBelow Left: May Spiller with one of her famous hats, date unknown, late 20th centuryBelow Right: Hotel guest Amelia Earhart with DeWitt Hutchings and the hotel's famous macaws, c. 1936
Behind the Fence: The Renovation Years Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Mission Inn Foundation and Museum - the second in a three-part exhibit series. March 2-July 31, 2017
Preserving the Legacy: Birth of the Mission Inn Foundation and a National Historic Landmark Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Mission Inn Foundation and Museum - the first in a three-part exhibit series. September 26, 2016-January 31, 2017